The International Furnishings and Design Association’s Education Foundation recently announced that applications will be accepted between March 1 and March 31, 2019, for nine scholarships from the Educational Foundation (EF) of IFDA, the International Furnishings and Design Association.
Since the early years of this 72-year-old global design industry alliance, EF has awarded scholarships to high-achieving design students as well as grants to talented professionals, internationally. Last year, EF’s seven annual scholarships totaled $12,500, but for this year, two have been added that expands that amount to $18,000.
“We are excited about these scholarships, which allow us to celebrate the talented individuals who are emerging in the design and furnishings industry,” said Merry Mabbett Dean, FIFDA, Chairman of the Board of the Educational Foundation of IFDA. “We continue to be committed to improving our industry by supporting students and enhancing public awareness through educational and philanthropic programs.”
Applicants must be currently enrolled and scholarships are paid to the school for the 2019 fall semester tuition. Winners will be notified by July 31, 2019, unless otherwise stated. The website has detailed information and applications: https://www.ifdaef.org/.
The nine scholarships are as follows:
- IFDA Leaders Commemorative Scholarship — $1,500. Open to undergraduate students.
- Part-Time Student Scholarship — $1,500. Open to undergraduate students.
- IFDA Student Member Scholarship — $2,000. Open to undergraduate students.
- Verceille Voss IFDA Graduate Student Scholarship — $2,000. Open to graduate students.
- Ruth Clark Furniture Design Scholarship — $3,000. Open to undergraduate or graduate students.
- Barbara Beckmann Textile Design Scholarship — $3,000. New scholarship established by the IFDA Northern California Chapter in honor of Barbara Beckmann, a textile designer and longtime California Chapter member and mentor to new members and students. Open to full or part-time undergraduate and graduate students with course emphasis on textile design.
- IFDA Philadelphia Scholarship — $2,500. New scholarship established by the IFDA Philadelphia Chapter to reflect the rich history of design in Philadelphia and beyond. Open to two-. three- or four-year undergraduates. Focus rotates annually among design in textile, graphic, furniture and interior design. This year’s focus is interior design.
- Tricia LeVangie Green/Sustainable Design Scholarship — $1,500. Open to undergraduate students.
- Window Fashion Certified Professionals for Certified Professionals Fast Track Scholarship — $1,000 (one full registration). Open to two- or three-year students.
As stated, applications for all 2019 EF scholarships will only be accepted during the month of March, with winners promised notification in July. For details, please consult the Educational Foundation website www.ifdaef.org. Or for answers to specific questions about these or any of EF’s other scholarships and grants, contact Director Karen Dzendolet.
More about the IFDA Education Foundation: IFDA Educational Foundation is a non-profit, tax exempt, 501c(3) organization. It’s nine scholarships support both full and part-time undergraduate and graduate students in the areas of interior, green/sustainable, product and textile design. In addition, 13 grants support professional development opportunities for IFDA members and other design industry professionals as well as needed resources for design schools. Visit instagram.com/ifdaef/ and facebook.com/ifda.educational.foundation/